Dentist in San Marcos, CA offers general dental care tips for a healthier smile
At Sun Smile Dental Group, we love to see you smile, and we want our patients to ensure that they take care of their smile every day, so it looks its best and stays healthy. Our dentist in San Marcos, CA offers general dental care tips for patients who are interested in keeping their smile beautiful for many years to come!
How can I care for my smile?
When it comes to dental care, preventative care is extremely important. In fact, patients who are more proactive about their oral health and wellness will often spend less on their smile over time than a patient who only does reactive care. This means that patients wait until a problem arises before they visit the dentist, instead of visiting regularly for cleanings and routine evaluations to monitor for problems.
To take care of the smile, Dr. Robert Lin of Sun Smile Dental Group encourages patients to follow these tips:
- Brush your teeth and floss after every meal – good oral health and wellness starts at home. The dentist can’t follow you to your house and remind you each time you eat to brush and floss. But you can ensure that you are taking care of your smile by doing so on your own. Patients who brush and floss after every meal with a soft-bristled brush will typically reduce their chances of developing periodontal disease and tooth decay. These patients will also have a brighter, more beautiful smile by removing plaque and tartar that can develop on the surfaces of the teeth and gums. Patients should brush for two minutes each time and should do so at LEAST twice a day.
- Visit the dentist regularly – every six months, patients should schedule an appointment with their dentist for an evaluation and a cleaning. This is the perfect time for patients to ask questions about their oral health and wellness, discuss the possibility of cosmetic treatments to enhance the smile, or learn how to care for their teeth if they are unsure as to how they can do so. Visiting a dentist often will also help the dentist detect signs of problems well before they become an issue that requires expensive or immediate attention.
- Eat a healthy diet – taking care of the smile also integrates with taking care of the body. When patients maintain a healthy diet with fruits and vegetables while also reducing the amount of sugary foods that are consumed and can affect the teeth, such as candies or sodas, they will be doing their body a favor. For patients who do enjoy the occasional sugary treat, brushing immediately after consumption will reduce the chance of future problems.
- Avoid smoking – bad habits such as smoking are not only bad for the lungs but also for the teeth. Patients who smoke ingest tar and nicotine, which can be detrimental to their overall health but will also cause their teeth to become yellow and stained. Additionally, smoking can increase the production of bacteria and plaque on the teeth and along the gum line, which over time will harm the bones, soft tissues, and teeth. By quitting smoking, patients are doing more for not only their smile but also their body!
- Use antibacterial mouthwash – antibacterial mouthwash is not just a product that is used to freshen breath. It also helps in protecting the teeth against bacteria that can develop and lead to periodontal disease. Patients should follow up brushing and flossing with mouthwash every time, rinsing their teeth at least thirty seconds for optimal results.
- Monitor changes and take action – even when patients visit their dentist every six months, problems can arise in between routine dental appointments. When you notice problems with the smile, you should book an appointment to see the dentist as soon as possible for an evaluation and to discuss treatment options. Some conditions left unaddressed can become larger and more damaging as time goes on, so immediate treatment may be required to keep the smile healthy.
Ready to take charge of your oral health and wellness?
Connect with the team at Sun Smile Dental Group now to schedule a consultation visit with Dr. Robert Lin and his staff. His practice is conveniently located at 1582 West San Marcos Boulevard, Suite 201, and can be reached by phone for an appointment at (760) 744-1300.